17 May 2012

Posted by DMC on 18 May 2012 in Diary |

So, I came through that sticky patch. Basically, I think the problem was that there were too many people involved in various aspects of my health that various fields of medicine. It seemed to me that various pills were added without giving serious consideration to side effects one in relation to the other. What has come out of this, is what I have been hoping for sometime, and that is one central point of reference for the medication. It just happened that my regular GP Doctor Lort was away when this business started and I was referred to one of her colleagues in the practice, Doctor Jen West, who, I must say has turned out to be a star, just what I needed.

The matter had been complicated by my mouthful of ulcers which required a dose of cortisone tablets plus as, well, an antiseptic mouthwash four times a day, I think it transpired that the cortisone clashed with the tramadol or the amitriptyline or something of that nature, this combined with the withdrawal effects from the morphine played havoc with my constitution. As I am still taking most of the pills prescribed all recommended by one or other of the team, I asked Doctor West if she would kindly speak to to my MND coordinator, Jo Sasson; Doctor Michael Davies, my Papworth consultant and Doctor Margaret Saunders, the head of the Arthur Rank hospice to ensure that the combined effect of the medication was fully considered. This she is already getting to grips with and has changed some of the medication to good effect

I was somewhat alarmed yesterday when I heard them both Miles and Chloe were coming down to see me. I was so bad, particularly with breathing that I suspect’ my lovely’ thought that the end was nigh the children should come down just in case!. They did that and we passed as pleasant a day together as we could, under the circumstances Smiler left after tea as things looking reasonably settled. Back towards late afternoon my breathing became more and more difficult and my throat was drying up to completely parched, like the desert, within 5 min of removing the respirator, which with medical advice. I had been using intermittently throughout the day. I made it clear that there was no way I was going to bed that night with a respirator under which I could dry up my saliva completely in a few minutes without any knowledge of the long-term effect

After more telephoning around, Doctor West, who had been marvellous, suggested some slight adjustments in my medication and armed with that and the knowledge that Chloe kindly agreed to spend the night and help her mother should she have any problems, I went to bed. As it happened I had to sound the first alarm around midnight from chronic pain in my foot and the fact that my tongue had virtually stuck to the roof of my mouth under the respirator and I desperately needed a drink. This meant that they had to get me up in bed, sitting on the side while say, administered some more of the morphine medicine, prescribed by Doctor West and then refit the respirator to settling down again. After that, I can honestly say it was a good night, that being the night of the 16th.

The following morning I certainly felt less ill than I had on the previous two days. The nausea virtually having disappeared. I spent a very quiet day generally listening to music while wearing the nose only respirator.

Although I was clearly on the mend it was a day of great sadness as it became quite clear that I would not be able to go to Lord’s, for the Second and Third Day of the Test Match, against The West Indies. Quite apart from missing the cricket itself, the opening of the international series, which I do not believe I have done for 37 years, was the disappointment in not being able to entertain my good friends in particular, my oldest friend , 95 year-old GAH (Geoffrey Anscombe), and on the Saturday my good friend John Gray in the event, England all but bowled out the West Indies, on the first day, finishing with 243/9. The highlight of the day from the English point of view was Broad’s five wickets although Anderson was probably the best-known of the day but was only rewarded with two wickets.

We had a call from Doctor Gem, came to check out one or two things about my medication and also to examine my feet, presumably in the hope of getting to the bottom of the severe pain which had resulted in raining night after night over the past few weeks.

We also have a visit from Neil, that people who provide although alarms stop he managed to make one or two changes which hopefully will mean that however feeble I get I will always be able to call for help. I must say, Neal has been extremely helpful and innovative in this respect.

I went to bed at 8.30 and managed to sleep through until 3.15 which was great for me as well. as for ‘my lovely’

I hope to the up to making my normal type of blog entry within a day or two. In the meantime, click here to see when a Member of the European Parliament met his match with the Scottish Farmer.


  • Christine from BC says:

    Rest and recover – glad to hear things are settling gradually.

    My husband (a doctor) says ro remember the well-known saying “too many cooks spoil the broth”. This is especially pertinent in the field of medicine, as he has discovered on numerous occasions over the years.

    Thinking of you.

  • DMC says:

    Good friend, Doctor Michael, from Australia, who stay with us overnight would agree wholeheartedly with your husband.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Copyright © 2008-2024 D. Mark Cato's Blog All rights reserved.